Monday, April 12, 2010

Piling on work at the end of the semester

I thought cramming work into the last part of the semester or school year was over when I left High School. As the end of the semester is approaching it seems like every teacher is adding more and more onto the already extensive workload. I know it increases chances of better grades, but it also increases stress levels and workload a tremendous amount. I think a little more spaced out curriculum or course outline would alleviate this problem a little. It would give students time to complete the assignment thoroughly and do a better job on it and not cause as much stress on what is due next or before the project you are working on is due. I know time managent and everything is a big part of college, but I think some teachers take it above and beyond a manageable amount of work.

7 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same exact thing when I looked at my April calendar the other day. I have a test, quiz, or big assignment due every day for the next 3 weeks and finals are only 3 weeks away. I always get so frustrated at the end of the semester because professors wait til the last 3-4 weeks of classes to cram in all of the projects they have left to assign. I agree that time management is a part of college, but when it causes your stress level to go through the roof when you should be starting to study for finals its ridiculous. I am making a commitment to myself as a future teacher and to my future students that I will not wait til the end of the semester to load on the work. I don't like it and I'm sure plenty of others don't too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the major things that bothers me in Physical Education is the curve ball the throw us. What i mean by this is some of the classes are so easy without any work while others are nothing but loads of work!! But as i think of it probably every mojor is this way, i guess i should be happy that not EVERY class gives us a ton of work! Its just kinda frustrating when prof. give you busy work that has nothing to do with the major! But as i said before im sure there are prof. like this in every major.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you all of said. I think that the most stressful time of the semester is the end when all the teachers pile on work to the students. Isn't the end of the semester supposed to be exciting due to the fact that it's almost over? At the end of the semester I think we should be concentrating on final exams instead of busy work for 5 points. That is just my opinion and when I'm a teacher in the future I hope I can space my assignments out to my students do they don't feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with what all of you said. As the weather gets nice, it makes it really hard to want to sit inside and do work. The rest of my semester contains test, quizzes, and projects also, along with unnecessary busy work. Can't wait for May 7th! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would completely agree with you on this! I feel like I didn't have a lot of work at all throughout both my semesters this year. However, when it came down to the last few weeks of classes, I suddenly was bombarded with portfolios, projects, tests, etc. This week alone I have a huge math test, and I have to do that E-folio. Not only that, in my one class he just assigned a portfolio and a project. I believe that towards the end of the semester teachers should be winding down the courseload and new materials and have us start reviewing and preparing for our finals instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KARA! i couldn't agree more with you. I have been in the library until midnight everyday this past week and I did not procrastinate either. I am trying not to stress out too much because I know that will not help anything. Our math class has an exam Thursday, same as the E-folio. I hope your classes are going well. Don't worry too much it will out turn out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed! Just as everyone else said, I don't understand this concept. Why not just map it all out at the beginning of the semester so then we can manage time with all of our other class assignments, presentations and exams. The thing that also really bugs me is, yeah lets have a number of assignments due by the last day of class, BUT WAIT, you still have to take a final exam that you were somehow supposed to study for during all of this other work. Come on! No wonder we all go into mental breakdown mode! Oh well, 2 weeks right? We can get through. We may not be eating or sleeping, but we can get through.

    ReplyDelete